Sunday, August 26, 2012

Survival: More Than Just a Play Title

This Friday my Drama students performed their production, Survival. It was based on The Hunger Games and The Lottery and it was my first school production as a teacher rather than a student.

It has been a long journey getting there and a super stressful one at that. We had issues with our trainers, with our script and at times our club's organisation. In the midst of these last weeks of essential preparation I have been an Oral Examiner for the O Level exams, so I have been out of school every afternoon with that.

In spite of everything, the kids did a fantastic job. Last year when we did the Singapore Youth Festival it was fun but there were only judges and teachers in the audience. This was the first time I've seen my students through to the end, with their parents and friends in the audience cheering and slapping. Seeing my students come through and do an awesome job was such a rewarding feeling. I am so proud of them, and just thinking about what they were like last year when I started and what they can do on stage now brings a tear to my eye.

If I ever needed confirmation that I'm doing the right thing by leaving and going to find a job teaching drama, this was it. The high you get from watching your kids on stage and seeing them come through is like nothing else.

I am so exhausted from this week that I just feel like sleeping forever, but I have to go back tomorrow and continue the Oral Exams. The exciting thing is that on Saturday I fly out to Japan for the week and I have just booked my hotels and my flights and everything is set.

I'm super excited about going and seeing a country I have dreamt about since I was a little girl. I will make sure to take loads of pictures and write to you all when I'm back about the crazy stuff I've seen and eaten.


No comments:

Post a Comment