Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Travellin'

Hello all!
I'm sorry it's been so long since my last missive, I fear that my life is somewhat boring and I find there's not much new to post. The smells, sights, and sounds of Singapore have become home to me in a lot of ways, so it doesn't all seem so novel and silly anymore.

Aside from every now and then someone still mentions something that shocks me. For instance, I asked why all the stray cats don't seem to have tails. I wondered if there was some sort of anomaly or if they tend to fight and get them pulled off or something. Apparently, the Chinese believe that it is good luck for a cat to not have a tail. So, to pump up the luck, they tie rubber bands around the tails of kittens, especially boy ones so that they fall off.

Also, it seems the cool place to hang out is the airport. I shit you not. The best place to go shopping, take someone on a date, or just go to eat at 3 am cause it's 24 hours is Changi Airport. Singaporeans love it. Students go there to study, aunties go to shop, and everyone goes to eat. Who'da thunk it?

Anyhow, I am leaving the island this Saturday for London. I am going to stay with my friend Iain's son for a few days, then go to Dorset and see him and then meet up with my Dad and Marilyn up in Yorkshire. Then we are flying back together to Toronto and I'll be back in Canada for about three weeks.

I will be sure to post pictures of my trips, I'm sure that the differences between home and here will become all the more apparent when I go back. I can tell you I'm not looking forward to the cold, but I am looking forward to seeing my loved ones again. Oh, and eating poutine. I can't stress that one enough.

Ben sent me a care package with a little music box that plays Oh Canada and I almost started crying. It made me realize how much I miss our crazy country.

No comments:

Post a Comment