Thursday, August 17, 2017

Nevegal

I am sitting on the patio at the holiday resort where we have our camp training listening to my fellow tutors sing and play guitar while I type this. It's been a wonderful week filled with drama games and meeting people from England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, America and, of course, Canada. It's been like grown up camp and it might be the last chance I have this life to be a drama camper so I've been soaking it up as best I can.

I've been lucky to have amazing roomies who have awesome conversations with me and as I have always found when you find the drama people you find your home. It's peaceful and remote here and it feels like the recharge my batteries needed even though we've been up and at em every day blasting through drama learning and teaching practice. I am back grounded in my roots, and it is wonderful and healing.

In the background of this beautiful time has been the Charlottesville violence, ISIS and the terror attacks across Europe running in the background. These things remind me of the fragility of life and as I watched the car plow into protesters today in the VICE documentary that is circling around I saw myself in the people sobbing on the ground. When I heard today about the hostage situation in Barcelona and the car crushing tourists I knew that Coco was safe in Valencia and yet felt the cutting edge of pain in my heart knowing how close we all are to the possibility of terror striking any of us.

And I am reminded that life is for living. None of us know how long we have here on this earth, but I know I am grateful and enriched by the life I am leading and the joy that doing drama work brings me. I got to do process drama again, which I haven't done since my undergrad and it's reminded me why I love teaching so damn much and how incredible people that do this work are the world over. It's a truly terrifying, depressing, scary time. And in the midst of it there are islands of beauty like the one I find myself on right now. For now, that's got to be enough.

I also got my assignment for next week, which will be in a small town south of Venice in the north of Italy. Either of the houses I may stay in will have cats which I am very excited about of course. The next place I will be is called Ospadeletto if you feel like you want to give it a Google. It's near Padua and it has about 800 people I think. So that will be interesting. I would have liked to go to Rome or Florence, but I will take what I get with gratitude and I know that where ever I go it will be a wonderful time because it will be in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment