Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Holidays

Today's drama rehearsal was cancelled because half of my kids have strep throat and I thought better to give them today off to rest and work tomorrow when they might be better than to only have 2 people trying to work on a show. Which gives me the chance to catch up with my dear blogosphere!

This week I helped our Sec 4 and 5 students prepare for their O level oral exams, which meant lots of scolding kids waiting for exams and organizing who went where. It wasn't too bad considering I had to come in on a "holiday" to do it, and I worked with my drama students in the afternoon.

I had a really good time working with the drama kids, it was a cool chance to actually do some of that drama teaching I always talk so much about living to do, and it was a good lesson for me in turning something crappy into something good and fun. Initially I was worried about having to work on my holiday but I chose to look at it as an opportunity to show the school that I can teach drama and that it's a good idea to give me tasks like this and it was a good chance to get to know some of the drama kids a little better.

We spent some time chatting about the history of Singapore and I told them things about the history of Canada because they always have questions about it. I think I spent 15 minutes discussing snow and explaining what it's like and what seasons are like because none of these kids have lived somewhere that you have seasons. They think daylight savings time is funny and toboganning and snowpants are cool.

The big story in my life of course is that Ben is arriving here tomorrow night. As you can imagine there has been a lot of dancing about, giggling and general excitement. Also: apartment cleaning. His flight leaves tomorrow afternoon Canada time which is tonight Singapore time, and he will be here around midnight Singapore time on Friday night.

I am super pumped people. Super. Pumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment