Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Surfin!

The group of people I met at the barbecue last weekend have quickly become a sort of gang of friends and we went to Sentosa to check out the Wave House this National Day holiday. I had a lot of fun trying to learn how to surf and spending time with some really cool and interesting people in the expat community. One guy I was talking to said he had a bit of a hard time when he first got here meeting people because he found it hard to make friends with locals but the expats were really welcoming, so I guess that seems to be the way to go.

Some of the people we were hanging out with are really impressive, going to Cambridge and MIT, there were pilots and bankers and photographers and dudes working for UPS. It's nice to meet people who aren't all teachers and who come from different backgrounds. Some are Swedish, American, Malaysian, Croatian, and the list goes on.

Surfing was kind of hard, you have to be ready to fall and my main problem was that my bathing suit kept coming off, luckily in the crazy wave pool part where no one can see you so it wasn't so bad. I just really enjoyed being on the beach, enjoying the sun and having nice people to hang out with. I have the world's weirdest sunburn today because I decided to be independent and put sunscreen on my own back, so there's a red patch in the middle where I couldn't reach.

Today I feel sort of sad and crappy again today which sucks because yesterday I was incredibly happy. I guess it's all one day at at time. The stressful thing is everyone asking me what I'm going to do when my contract is over and me not having a super good answer. I know that if I go back to Canada it will be hard to find a job and to survive, especially because I have no place of my own to go back to and pretty much a few boxes of books to my name. The last thing I want to do is to go back to Starbucks and there are lots of reasons to stay in Singapore or to stay Internationally teaching, but at the same time I do really miss home and want to be with Ben again. The big question here is what do you do when the contract is over and I guess the answer will come slowly and form itself. I just wish I had a better answer to give people than to smile and laugh and shake my head.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bea, Sounds like you are settling into Singapore well. I have just moved to Singapore with my husband a week ago. My husband is working a lot so I am looking to make new friends, so I don't get too lonely. If you are keen to meet up, please let me know :) Add me to FB if you have it, beclowe_87@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete