Friday, April 8, 2011

Cluster Games...Or Cluter Something Else...

A week or two ago an e-mail came through the ministry's Intranet inviting us teachers to sign up for what was called "Cluster Games" which sounded like fun. As an incredibly isolated young lady I thought to myself, I should sign up for this, it sounds like a good chance to have some fun and hang out with the people I work with.

This week has been a very long one as the students prepare for SYF (Singapore Youth Festival) and I've had  a couple of 12 hour days. So I was really looking forward to my Saturday morning lie in. No dice.

Turns out that Clutser Games means a phsycial fitness test that consists of running or walking 2.5k and then having your heart rate taken to see if you are in the goods or the bads based on your height, weight and age. At 7 am. On Staruday.

This idea made me very sad, especially when I was invited to have some Peranakan food with Iain, Michael and some teachers from his school. I ended up going and it was lovely, but I had to come home to be ready for my Cluster Games.

I decided to try and make it into a positive and in the end it actually wasn't too bad. I got the chance to spend some time with my Vice Principal who invited me for Chinese food next weekend and I met a bunch of other principals and the superintendant of our Cluster (like our school board sort of). I also found out that we get some sort of bonus based on our heart rate and mine was good so I think I get like $100 on my next paycheque. Not bad!

The young teachers that Michael introduced me to are having a Scottish themed party next weekend which they invited me to and it sounds like they know a good group of expat teachers who are from Canada, US, UK and elsewhere so I am excited to meet them and hopefully actually start making more friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment