Sunday, April 17, 2011

Monday

First, I would like to say that there seem to be a whole lot of Singaporeans reading this here blog lately...I wonder who that could be? So bear that in mind my loyal readers...

This Friday the drama club had the chance to go and see one of the only nine schools in Singapore that achieved a gold with honors in their English Drama performance. It was an excellent opportunity for our students to be exposed to the work of other drama clubs and to see what the standard is that the judges are putting a high value on. I was incredibly impressed with the production that the students at Fairfield Methodist had been able to accomplish and I was struck at how theatrical and physical their show was. Clive and I were talking about the performance after and he found out that the school had used this piece as their school production the year before so they had a lot of time to prepare and we are thinking about doing the same this year, using a piece for the production that can double into the SYF.

On a social note, I spent some time this weekend with some colleagues which was very nice to get to know people outside of work and I was also able to meet up with a group of young expat teachers who are living at the campus of a Polytechnic. It was supposed to be a Scottish themed party but aside from some brief Scottish dancing there wasn't much Scottish about it. All the same it's really nice to meet up with people who are in a similar situation to me and understand the way I feel, even other people who are in long distance relationships and understand how hard it is. All you have to say when you leave early is "Time difference" and everyone knows that it's because you need to Skype someone on the other side of the world when they wake up which is when you would be going to bed.

Another good thing is that Ben and I are planning for him to come and visit me in June during my holiday from school for two weeks which is pretty much the most exciting thing on my horizon for a while. I'm incredibly excited to see him again and to be able to show him around Singapore and go on adventures. I find it's hard here to really go out and do things like go to the zoo or sight seeing because I'd be doing those things on my own. Sophie from the Scottish party did say she would like to go shopping with me or go to the zoo one day so maybe I am making progress on finding people to share things with. It's not the same though when you are apart from the person that you love.

I am going to try and keep my blog public, because I would like to be able to share my life with you all back home, and of course that comes with a double edged blade...

No comments:

Post a Comment