Friday, April 22, 2011

Night Safari!

This is the first of three long weekends in a row, so I decided to try and do some cool stuff around Singapore because our plans to go to Jakarta/Thailand did not pan out. Last night I went with some friends to see a short film that one of them had been in and after we went out, Iain met us and it was good to introduce him to some other people here in Singapore that are cool.

Today I went with Michael and Yi Lin to the Night Safari, one of the attractions that I read about in the guides about Singapore before coming here that was on my list of things that I wanted to do while I was here. It's a really cool idea to have a zoo open at night because so many animals are nocturnal so you don't really get to see them do much during the day if you go to see them. It reminded me a lot of the trip to the Toronto Zoo that I went on with my Starbucks friends in the summer which increased my homesickness a lot. It's been rough the last few days with missing Ben and home a lot and feeling really sad. But, I'm doing my best to combat it and I know that Ben is coming to Singapore in 49 days so I can't be too mopey and what better way to deal than to go and see some tigers?

They don't want you to use flash photography at the zoo because they don't want you to startle the animals so my pictures are laregly blury, but I posted them on photobucket here. The scariest were the gator things cause they were really close and one of them smacked its nose and spooked me. Also, the creep so slowly down into the water it is sort of eerie and makes you realize how quickly one of them could sneak up on you if you were swimming with them. I also really liked some of the cats and the tiger and leopard even though they were sleeping because in their own cattish ways they reminded me of Alfie. The flying swuirrels were also pretty cool and we saw one fly from one tree to another which was nifty. There were also bats flying around and otters playing in the water and making seriously adorable little otter noises. The firebreathing show was sort of funny and culturally slightly offensive in terms of fetishizing Asians in loinclothes, but hey, whatcha gonna do? All in all it was a fun time and I would love to go back again, maybe I will bring Ben when he comes to Singapore. Our ticket also includes admission to the bird park so on Sunday we might go there and I'm sure I'll take more pictures of birds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment