Monday, April 4, 2011

My Own Skin

Slowly I am becoming more comfortable in my own skin here in Singapore. I know more how to navigate my way around so I feel less lost and I find less people looking at me. I was talking through the bus interchange yesterday and I saw an older white lady looking around like a deer in the headlights and I realized that a few weeks ago, that was probably me. Now I know where I'm going and everything isn't new anymore so I'm not gawking like a small child at every thing I see. I still giggle to myself when I hear the man in the courtyard outside the mall singing "Killing Me Softly" but I think that will never wash off.

On Saturday night I went with Iain and Michael to Chinatown to meet up with other expat teachers. I stopped on the way and got a massage because they are $20 and my back hurt so why not? It was good to meet other people who have gone through the transition that we are going through now and to find a community of people that go out and do fun and social things. I gave them my email and handphone so I'm hoping that this weekend there will be something afoot that I can join in on. 

This week at school is going to be very busy as our drama club gears up for their performance at the Singapore Youth Festival next week so I anticipate a lot of late nights and early mornings but I'm happy to be working with these kids and I am still super impressed with their dedication and maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment