Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blogs

I finished my first round of exam marking and students are currently writing the next round of scripts so I have a bit of time this morning to come on here and post. In the mornings I tend to spend about an hour reading the news, I start with the Straits Times, the newspaper here in Singapore and then I move on to the CBC so that I can see what's afoot back home. When I lived in Canada it seems I was much less interested in what was going on there but now that I don't I like to know what's going on. I check the news for Ottawa, Toronto and Windsor usually every morning because I have lived in all of these places and have loved ones there that I like to check on. However, CBC seems to think that I am in BC because of my current location so it tends to give me BC news first.

Today there was an interesting story about a blogger who had cancer and wrote his last letter to the world. You can read his beautiful last words here, and it got me thinking about the reality that this blog, and the one before it, are my digital legacy. I already go back and read blog posts from years ago, or when I particularly miss Ben I go back and read what I wrote about him in those early, confusing days when we both liked each other and didn't think they other one liked us back. It made me wonder what it will be like in the years to come, looking back on this blog and if I will one day show my kids the stuff I wrote when I went to Singapore. I wonder if one day when I am gone people who loved me may look back on this as a record of my mind and if this will become more than just a way for me to tell you all back home what I'm doing, but also as it's own entity that will live on past me.

I remember backing up my old blog and being struck that I had hundreds of pages of writing, as I never even consciously blogged, I just sat down and vomited out whatever was streaming through my head. But at the end of that I see that what I managed to create was actually something of some significance and something to be proud of. I suppose only time will tell what becomes of the blog but for now it's been a comfort and a good way to start the legacy I will leave behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment