Thursday, May 19, 2011

Field Trip!

Now that exams are over, and marking is over there is sort of a strange lull in between now and the end of school and start of holidays. Students are checking their exams scripts to make sure that there were no errors in the marking of them and this leaves me once more loafing about in the staffroom and not really having much to do. Which is why I'm ripe for the pickings when teachers need people to undertake other tasks.

This is how I ended up on a bus today with 8 kids and 11 pieces of art headed to the other side of Singapore to deliver some art pieces for a show that the kids had won a place in. My history of field trips is rather sordid (involving me alone in the Eaton's Centre with 20 kids from Gananoque and a whole lot of fear) but I took on the challenge. I am relying on my new found sense of adventure and Independence and figured if I couldn't manage to corral 8 kids, then how could I expect to corral 40?

The entire thing was really not a very big deal but of course for someone fairly new to Singapore it seems somewhat daunting to try and take a bunch of kids around the Island without anyone else there to rely on as an interpreter or guide.

The only hitch was that one girl was looking rather peaky and when I asked her what was wrong she started saying "sweet" which confused me for a moment until I realized she was having a hypoglycemic episode and needed sugar. No one had anything, and the only sweet I had was a nicorette and I'm not about to feel kids nicotine, so we got the bus uncle to stop at a 7/11 and get her some mentos.

Problem solved!

For the weekend I don't really have any exciting plans other than going to IKEA to get some sort of a mattress for when Ben gets here because I currently sleep on a single bed and there's no way it's going to suffice to support the girth of two Canadians. We'll see if I manage to have any exciting adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment