Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Apartment

Today I finally moved in to my much toiled for apartment. I went to Ikea and got some bedding and other random fixin's and now I am sitting in my own bed! Finally, a place to settle for the next 15 months.

The laides that I am sharing with seem nice but rather uptight about how they like the house to be, which is fine by me because I intend to mostly stay in my room. It's large enough to be a lovely space for me and I'm still a little bit in the dorm room mentality where I'm used to having a room that serves as your entire living space.

Tomorrow movers are coming to deliver the new refridgerator and I found the grocery store that is two blocks up so now I know where I can get groceries. I should have a desk and a bookcase in my room then sometime tomorrow so I can finish setting it up just the way I like it. I got nice colorful bedding and some cute things and a plant to make this space feel more like home and less like I'm a nomad living out of suitcases or sleeping on airmattresses.

It feels kind of liberating to know that I am now earning money through my profession instead of through making lattes, that an education system thought me valuable enough to give me the start up money and the flight I needed to come here and build a little life, even if only for a little while. To be able to walk into Ikea and pick out furnishing that I like that are just for me and know that the money I am using to pay for them comes from my teaching career is exciting.

Once I have my desk and things are a little more set up here I will take some pictures and maybe a video walking tour of my place here so that you all can see what my little slice of Singapore looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment