Sunday, March 20, 2011

New Stuff

I am sitting here in my apartment eating a tasty waffle I got from the bakery near my house. The Singaporean people love their sweets and there are bakeries and toast shops all over the place that smell like sugar and butter and delicious.

I got my waffle with Kaya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaya_%28jam%29#Malaysia_and_Singapore) which is really really tasty. It's interesting trying new foods here and finding what is good. Things here are often fresh and very cheap, most of my meals are chicken curry and sweet and sour pork with rice at hawker centres and it's usually about 2 dollars. Most places also offer sweet lemon tea or fresh lemon juice for about a dollar.

When I got here I was hesitant to use chopsticks to eat rice because I felt like I would suck at it, but now I have challenged myself to eat as many of my meals with chopsticks as possible and so far it's working well. I also tried frog or "country chicken" as they call it in Mandarin, it was mostly just like chicken.

I'm feeling a little isolated right now and I'm looking forward to starting at school tomorrow so that I can have more sense of direction and purpose here, loafing around in my room on my own isn't doing me much good mentally, but it's been really nice today to catch up with lots of people on Skype. Skype is essentially saving my life at this point, being able to see the people I miss so much back home and feel like I'm really sitting down and talking to them is an amazing comfort in this strange land I find myself in. I'm hoping that I can make some friends here soon, it's kind of hard to meet people when you're the awkward lost white lady, but I hope I can overcome that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment