Tuesday, March 15, 2011

First Day in School

If you are a Canadian teacher, you should probably be sitting down as you read this.

I went in to meet my Principal today. He seems like a very nice guy, all of the school staff is incredibly warm and welcoming. For my first term at school I will be observing different lessons and levels of students taught by very strong teachers in the school so that I can get a sense of how teaching works in Singapore and ease my way into taking parts of lessons and getting ready to teach on my own.

The school has a lady whose job is to do my photocopying, so I fill out a requisition form and she does all of my printing and photocopying for me.

Next week there aren't any classes because it is Learning Journey Week, where students go overseas and throughout Singapore to have out of classroom learning opportunities and I might be going on a trip to Malaysia so that I get the chance to experience the culture. Oh, that's a free trip where I supervise kids, by the way. While I'm being paid a salary.

I get a $400 a year allowance for any items that I think will assist my teaching, we are looking into whether we can claim our iPhones. I can claim a printer if I buy one.

They also want to promote a good work life harmony as they put it so I pick one day a week that fits with my class observation schedule where I can come in to school late or leave early so that I have a little extra time to contact my family back home and relax and keep my mental health.

Yea, so far, this seems like paradise. What more could a first year teacher want?

No comments:

Post a Comment