Monday, March 21, 2011

First Day of School

Today was my first day of school. It was rather confusing because it seems that everyone isn't quite sure what to do with me yet.

It started with me coming into the school and the vice principal telling me that they have a teacher off on medical leave for two weeks and they need me to cover his classes, which I was excited about. I then went to the staff room and got my desk assignment. In Singapore the teachers come to the section class of the students, instead of the teacher having their own room so we all have big desks in the thankfully airconditioned staff room.

We then had morning assembly, which was good until I started to feel like I was going to black out. I think it was a combo of heat and cramps (awkward) but the teachers got me a stool and some water. Very embarassing way to start at the school, but everyone was really nice and I felt better quickly. Before school tomorrow you better believe I'm going to chug water instead of just coffee (tasty as it was, thank you Starbucks and a wok instead of a kettle).

I met with the head of the Aesthetics department who told me that they have a drama class in sec one, which would be like grade nine in Canada and that was the class that they wanted me to cover while the teacher is out with back problems. I was very excited about this until the head of english said that they need me doing observation so they are going to figure out where I will be. It doesn't really seem like anyone figured that out though, so I'm going in tomorrow still not completely sure what they need me to do.

I met with the other teacher who does drama and who runs the drama club and she seemed really nice, she gave me the package that they are working on for their trip to Malacka. It seems like they are really working on using cross curricular methods of teaching and the fact that students get to go overseas on a trip like that is really a great opportunity.

Essentially, after my first day I can't really say much about what I will be doing. It still seems slightly unclear but I know that it will become clearer as the days pass. The other staff have been very nice so far and very welcoming and I feel like my colleagues are going to be really good to work with. In the days to come things will surely get more hectic and packed with things to do, but it was a good start and I don't feel yet like I've got too much on my plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment