Friday, March 11, 2011

Sunrise

Today is a sunny day and I don't have any activities with the Ministry so I kind of have my first free day in Singapore to myself. I've had a messed up sleep schedule due to a combination of being sleepy in the afternoon and trying to be awake at times that I can connect with Ben and my Dad back home.

My number one concern right now is still finding a place to live, I am going to see a house today where I would be sharing with a Chinese family. I still don't really want to share with a family at all but the rent at this place is much cheaper and it is closer to my school so I would save on transportation costs. The transportation system here is charged based on distance so the longer you go the more you pay.

Essentially I have to decide what my priority for the next year here is. I can live somewhere less enjoyable and save more money to be able to travel or go back home to visit, or I can spend more on the place that I live and have a more comfortable year. My Induction Mentor said that she found a flat that is 800 a month in a condo with other trainers so I can see it on Tuesday and then I will make my decision. It is still a good idea to see as many places in the area of Tampines (Tam-pan-eese) that I can.

My other concern now is that the other teachers that I came here with found an apartment and are probably moving out of the hotel tomorrow or tonight, so I have the choice of going with them and sleeping in their bomb shelter where I wouldn't have a bed or staying here in the hotel at $100 a night. I think I'm going to stay here at least for the weekend because it's comfortable and I know where the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) station is from here so it's easier for me to get around.

I'll keep you posted on how the house hunt goes and probably post photos of places I see on my PhotoBucket.

No comments:

Post a Comment